In the first edition of The Hair Edit, we caught up with Megan Hess to find out ...
Meet Toni Garrn, the face of Aura Botanica in our exclusive interview where ...
#FUSIOFRIDAY WITH MEGAN HESS
We have partnered with Detox Kitchen with whom we share the belief that the food...
How did you come up with the concept of Detox Kitchen?I was always passionate ab...
Lily Simpson Founder of Detox Kitchen shares her haircare and health secrets
How did you come up with the concept of Detox Kitchen?
I was always passionate about cooking growing up, and at the time of having the idea for Detox Kitchen I was running my own catering company so I was lucky in that respect as I already had a commercial kitchen. I’d had a lot of friends try out various detoxes and diet delivery services, and complain about the quality of them. After doing a bit of research into the market, I thought you know what, I could do it better.
Have you always been interested in health and wellness?
In a word, yes. While growing up I always helped prepare the meals for our family, my memories of cooking and eating with my family are comforting and happy ones. I strongly believe that if, for the most part, we eat food that is made from scratch, using fresh and wholesome ingredients, we will be happy and healthier as a whole. It’s been amazing watching the healthy food industry explode in the last few years. The more people eating good, healthy food, the better!
In general, how do you maintain a healthy lifestyle?
Cooking from scratch is such an easy way of maintaining a healthy diet. It’s immediately cutting out the processed and refined ingredients found in ready-made meals or products. I’m up in town most days for meetings so I always grab lunch from one of the delis. I’m currently obsessed with our turmeric cauliflower couscous!
I think it’s also important not to put too much pressure on ourselves. I always recommend that for 80% of the time to eat food that is free from wheat, dairy and refined sugar, and for the other 20% eat what you like. It's important not to be too hard on yourself, so don’t beat yourself up for allowing yourself a treat now and again; just be mindful of what you eat afterwards and make sure to give your body the nutrients it needs to work properly.
What would you say is your favourite healthy thing to cook?
There’s something so comforting and nostalgic about cooking up a big stew for supper. It’s also a great way of using up odd vegetables as you can really experiment and throw anything in. The key is fresh herbs and spices! That said, you really can’t beat a quick avocado toast in the morning. Oh and banana bread!
What tips can you share for busy women trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle?
At a time when there is so much choice, sometimes we forget to just enjoy simple food, cooked from our homes. I like to roast a big tray of vegetables on a Sunday and then use them as a base for meals during the week.
What do you look for in a hair care range?
For me products need to be natural, just like the food that I eat. I look for products that are sulphate and silicon-free, made with naturally derived ingredients.
What is your personal hair routine?
I’m generally pretty low maintenance, for me less is definitely more, but I do love to indulge in a blow dry. I’ve also got quite thick hair so I try to use a hair mask once a week to keep it in good condition.
What are you favourite Kérastase products?
There’s a great coconut oil based mist as part of the new Aura Botanica range that is useful for a quick boost on the go. The micellar shampoo, Bain Micellaire, is great too as it leaves my hair feeling thoroughly cleansed but still hydrated.
What does natural beauty mean to you?
I apply the same principles to my nutrition as to my beauty regime. With increased pollution and busy, hectic schedules, our bodies are working harder than ever to rid us of toxins and keep us in tip top condition. And while detoxing is a natural bodily process, we can help our bodies by nourishing them with foods that work with us, that are packed full of vitamins and minerals. And just like this, our bodies can appreciate a little help on the outside too, whether it’s a plant-based facial oil or sulphate-free shampoo
When do you feel most beautiful?
When I’m at home, with my two children, with no make-up on and just wearing jeans and a big woolly jumper.
Follow @TheDetox Kitchen on Instagram to learn more about Lily Simpson and Detox Kitchen. For the latest Kérastase news and products, follow KérastaseUK on Facebook and @kerastase_official on Instagram.